Monday, August 29, 2011

Thoughts for the New Year


We began our new year of homeschool today. The schedules were made. All the new books were in place on the shelves. I still had a few things to print out last night, but I think we were ready to get started again. (Junebug was actually bored over the last week of our break.) I read a blog post recently over at Simple Mom that described this time of year as a second "new year".  The "Back to School" time does have a very similar feeling of expectation and remembrance that one gets at the turn of the calendar year in January.  The new year is always a time to assess our goals and progress, think about what went well in the past and check in with our dreams for the future. 

On this same note, I found in the first pocket of my homeschool notebook a few notes from a seminar I attended many years ago about setting goals for our homeschools. We were asked to write down our own thoughts on various headings. These were "big picture" goals.  It has been a few years since I wrote them down, surprisingly not much has changed. I guess we're more focused than it seems at times.  Have a look:

Education Goals:
Then: I want my children to maintain a love of learning, have a broad-based (liberal) education, be able to research/read about their interests, focus on basic skills in early years (reading, math and writing), spend time in nature, enjoy the arts (picture study, composer study, Shakespeare, music lessons).

Now: Our goals are still the same, overall. We are a family of geeks and enjoy learning all the time. Our curriculum is broad and diverse. We do need to increase our time out-of-doors. If only I lived in a more temperate climate!

Societal Goals:  
Then: I want to raise caring and compassionate people who are respectful of others, have good leadership skills, a concern for the environment and will be of service to others.

Now: Again, these goals have not changed. We are actively involved with Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts. I say it so often that it should be our family motto: "Be Helpful!"

Academic Goals  
Then: I want my children to find a career doing something they love, that gives their lives great meaning and has an impact on the world. College is optional.

Now: The only thing that I would add is that they be able to adequately support themselves and their families with their chosen career. Even though Physbrain (my husband) and I both have advanced degrees, we recognize the value of learning a trade and providing meaningful service to others. We also know many people who do not end up in a career that has anything to do with their academic degrees. Junebug currently wants to be a veterinarian and Legoboy a robotics engineer, so college is definitely in their futures...but that can always change.


Religious Goals 
Then: I hope that the children develop kindness and compassion, have gratitude, love an open-mind with regard to others.

Now: This is probably the area where we have changed the most. Over the last few years we have grown in our understanding of the Christian faith. Whereas all of the above goals were based on some intangible idea of "goodness", now we have a solid basis for our beliefs and morals. I pray that they continue to grow in their relationship with Jesus and learn to be true followers of Him.

Time Wasters 
Then: Though we stay on schedule most of the time, our days would be more productive with less time wasted on the computer, playing, arguing and fighting.

Now: Same, same, same. What do expect from a family of creative, independent, yet willful people headed by a computational engineer?

Housework  
Then:  The basics are done each day/week, but I wish I could get the children more involved with chores and be more organized.

Now: The children do take turns helping with laundry and dishes and are good about making their beds each day; however, they are both capable of contributing more to the household work than they do. Since our move last year, I do feel we're more organized. We have the space to store things that belong together in the same place and got rid of lots of unnecessary things. I am also still striving for simplicity in the home.

Time spent with Friends
Then: We meet with friends at the park and the library each week.

Now: I think we're good on the friends department. The children have several friends in the neighborhood as well as other homeschool friends that they get together with to play. They are also involved in various organized social activities, such as church classes, book clubs and scouts. I also have a book club that meets once a month. I would like to get together more often with my friends to do creative things like sewing and crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment